Monday, December 10, 2007

The Writer's Strike Is Ruining My Life, Part I

Before I say anything, I feel it necessary to clarify: I AM A WRITER. My degree is in screenwriting, with a concentration in television writing. I've been writing since I could pick up a pen. I wrote my first play when I was six. (My mom and I starred in it. For the record, my dad thought it was phenomenal. It had 8 lines.) I've always identified myself as a writer, until I started identifying myself as a producer.

That being said, it's also important to note that I work and study in this business, and have been hearing about nothing but the strike for months now; even before it started and it was just a rumor, everyone was talking about it. So let's just say I know my fair share about what the issues are. And yes, I think the argument of the writers is grounded in a worthwhile cause. They deserve to get paid for their work like everyone else. It's no one's fault that none of these issues were in their contract before because no one can predict how successful new forms of media can be. Fair enough.

However. HOW-FUCKING-EVER. What are they fighting over, really? They want 2.5%. That's the number they're going for, which can be pennies to some people and millions to others. Is it fair that the same people who get pennies have to be out of work and
support their families at the risk of losing their homes, cars, children's education? At this time of year?

"Well, that's what being in a union is all about, unity through good times and bad." Alright, fair enough. But what about people who aren't in the union but are forced to be unemployed because of the strike? Like crew members? Who, for the record, don't get paid all too well either, in most cases.

And here's the kicker. When the strike is all said and done and finally a deal is reached, whenever the hell that may be, I'll let you in on a little secret. They ain't gonna get 2.5%. Studios and producers are not going to just give them what they want. So we're looking at something in the middle, like 1.25%.

1.25%.

People are out of work for months, millions of dollars are lost, some people's careers could be permanently ruined. For 1.25%.

So how is this affecting me? Well, who knows when this will all end, but I can cross that bridge when I come to it. I currently work for a talent agency, the name of which I'd rather not share. But we represent a lot of actors, big and small, as well as producers, directors, writers, authors (there's a difference), comedians, etc. And yes, business is still running because there are plenty of scripts that have already been written, in terms of film. (The film industry will most likely not feel the effects of the strike) But for all the people we cast in television, we're beginning to hit a wall. Things are getting quiet. Really quiet. And we all know what that means...less business=less money. Not good.

So before this gets any more lengthy, let me summarize why, exactly, the strike sucks. People outside of the industry don't comprehend how many people this effects.

So the writers aren't working and the producers aren't working --> crew isn't working -->actors aren't working -->agents aren't working --> agencies aren't getting a lot of business --> ME=FUCKED.

So yes, the argument of the writers is legit. But will it be worth it in the long run? Only time will tell. Personally, I think the answer is no. And in the mean time, it's making my life hell. And obviously, I am the most important person IN THE WORLD.

1 comment:

modelbehavior said...

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

BTW are you going to the WGA thing at Viacom tmrw they sent us a billion emails about? If so, see you there!